Monday, March 14, 2011

Nordschleife, here I come

I've narrowed down the dates I'm going to drive the Nordschleife--either May 16 or May 20. There is Touristenfahrten in the afternoon and evening on those days. Touristenfahrten, literally tourist drives, are when virtually anyone can drive on the Nordschleife. Tour busses, motorcycles, station wagons, and motorhomes join the likes of Porsches, Lotuses, Ferraris, and Audis on this challenging road. Maybe if I get lucky I'll see this one-of-a-kind car:




The recommended car rental place at the 'ring has vehicles ranging from Suzuki Swifts, Renaults, and Beemers to Porsche GT3s. While it would be a blast to drive a Porsche, I think I'll be more comfortable driving a Golf GTI, which will handle more similarly to my TT. Plus the GTI is about half the cost of a Porsche 996 Carrera (and the 996 is about half the cost of the GT3). Nailing the date for this will help other parts of the trip fall into place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment