Sunday, May 1, 2011

One week before lift off!

On Thursday we start following the Argonne National Laboratory anti-jet lag diet. Real, legitimate scientific studies have proven that it helps to eliminate or reduce jet lag, and I know from experience it works. Alternating "feasting" and "fasting" days and limiting caffeine intake to certain hours helps to reset the internal clock.

Earlier this evening I looked into renting a car at the 'ring (sent an inquiry about renting a VW GTI), and was bummed to see that the Touristenfahrten on the day we'll be there is no longer a half day. It's now just the evening (2-1/2 hours). The schedule changes for a number of reasons, and one is that manufacturers use it to test cars. So maybe we'll see some interesting cars there.


My brother Dave called me this morning and asked if I was packed yet. Actually, I have started ... I've found that when coming up on a trip, I put the things I'm thinking about bringing in a laundry basket, then when it's time to haul out the suitcase I can select from what's in the basket. I'm hoping to get by with a carry-on suitcase. Lots of black t-shirts! With the Euro being what it is right now -- 1 Euro to $1.48 US -- I need to avoid my usual "I can buy whatever I need there" mindset. 

Other than reserving a car for the 'ring, we're pretty set -- have hotel reservations in Berlin, lined up a rental car to pick up on our way out of Berlin, made a hotel reservation near Wolfsburg ... already got the rail pass (I now realize we won't need the six day one that we got, but oh well).

Here's the itinerary as it stands now:
Day 1 (Monday) - arrive in Stuttgart/Waldenbuch in late afternoon
Day 2 (Tuesday) - Waldenbuch; perhaps tour the Ritter museum and/or Porsche or Mercedes
Day 3 and 4 (Wednesday and Thursday) - Munich (tour BMW one of those days)
Day 5 - (Friday) Ingolstadt (Audi); travel to Berlin and meet Mary Jo!
Day 6, 7, 8 - (Saturday, Sunday, Monday) Berlin
Day 9 - (Tuesday) pick up rental car in Berlin; say auf wiedersehen to Mary Jo and drive to Wolfsburg; tour VW Museum
Day 10 - (Wednesday) VW Stadt
Day 11 - (Thursday) travel to area near Nürburg
Day 12 - (Friday late afternoon) Nürburgring (Nordschleife); overnight in Nürburg
Day 13 - (Saturday) - drive to Waldenbuch; tour Porsche or Mercedes and/or visit with family
Day 14 - (Sunday) - return rental car, tour Porsche or Mercedes and/or visit with family
Day 15 - (Monday) leave (unless, of course, Bob's fantasy of us meeting wealthy soul mate Germans who sweep us off our feet comes true and we decide to stay)

2 comments:

  1. Definitely don't miss Heidleburg!!!
    And do the Rhine Valley boat journey that travels rignt along Lorelei rock. The legend of the siren that lured sailers, and caused their ships to crash. It is a delicious journey. best wine we drank too! (Me and paul, 1981)

    ReplyDelete